INTERVIEW + MIX | Allmostt – UK
This is our first ever exclusive mix from an international artist: Allmostt (Martin Olmos) – is a young producer based in Southampton. He’s making some spooky, bass-heavy joints. This mix is prettttttty great – tracklist in the player description on his cloud.
PBJ: Tell us about your (current) local music industry and scene – pros and cons.
Allmostt: I’m living in Southampton at the moment, soon starting my third year at Solent uni studying digital music. Southampton has a very close-knit community between club night organisers and students which has given me many opportunities to DJ at a lot of different clubs within the city centre. Although it’s a relatively small city, it still has space for three quality club nights dedicated to UK Bass and future electronic music: NOLOGO, Hazy and Milk.
PBJ: Tell us about your creative space/studio – what do you produce with and has it be a self-taught process or have you done any courses?
Allmostt: I exclusively use Logic to make my tunes. Although my course has taught me some skills, I’ve learnt the most of my knowledge from just researching about production in my spare time and trying to figure things out myself. At the moment I dont actually own a pair of headphones or monitors so 95% of the time I spend producing is through my macbook speakers which gets quite tedious at times, the other 5% is when I’ve basically finished the tune and use a friends monitors to fix the mixdown and do some final edits.
PBJ: You have some official releases coming out via several labels – tell us about the labels, how you became involved with them, and how the releases were organized.
Allmostt: The first label I became involved is brand new Silver Wave Records run by Dunjinz. My good friend Erotic City recommended me after his own signing and now I have an EP and remix being released within the next few months. Joseph (Dunjinz) has done a really good job finding so many sick tracks and upcoming artists to sign. The next label I’ve recently worked for is Prague based Meanbucket Records, which is run by cousin, DJ Tuco for which I made the Bad Mojo – Burn Slow Remix which is out in about a month. It was featured on the now quite popular #Unknown soundcloud and got a really good response from many people including Hot N Heavy recordings who soon after the upload offered me a remix assignment of D3adLine’s ‘Wait For You’ which will be released on the 16th of July.
PBJ: There’s so much music out there. Who are the people that you think have made truly great music – and why, and what kinds of people have influenced your own creativity and why?
Allmostt: The main artists who really inspired me to start making 130bpm dance music have to be alot of the Ed Banger artists. Music by Justice, Mr Oizo and SebastiAn along with other Electro/Techno artists like Simian Mobile Disco and Boys Noize was so powerful and really stuck in my mind. I still listen to many of the dance tunes I used to play for inspiration back when I first started producing.
PBJ: Was there ever that first musician/producer that you listened to, that got you excited about making your own music?
Allmostt: My favourite current artists who have inspired me to make the music I do today are literally everyone involved with Dirtybird and artists like Addison Groove, Boddika and Dark Sky who take influence from early drum machine based dance music.
I worked at a stall at Glade Festival 2006 when I was 14. I knew virtually nothing about dance music and friend of mine took me to see Andy C. The atmosphere and bass was like nothing I’d ever experienced before, it really kick started my love for dance music.
PBJ: Who was the last music/producer your listened to and immediately became a fan?
Allmostt: Die Antwoord! I recently saw ‘Umshini Wam’, a short film they acted in and was amazed by them. I checked out their tunes and loved them instantly. They’re so weird!
PBJ: What motivates you to give some of your tracks away for free?
Allmostt: These days with so many artists out there trying to get recognition and I think it’s kinda necessary for people to give away their tracks to get them heard by as many people as possible.
PBJ: What are your current goals as an up and coming producer and how do you think you will achieve them?
Allmostt: At the moment im hoping for all my releases to be successful so I can get the recognition to go on to bigger and better things! But I think my main ambition as a producer/dj is to play out in a packed out tent at one my favourite festivals. It would give me such a sense of achievement.
Posted by Celebrity Sex Tape.